Handling Injuries at Sea in Florida
Setting out on an adventurous cruise either as a passenger or crewmember can be an exhilarating experience. But if you become sick due to unsafe conditions while on a ship, are attacked, or are injured in some other way, your vacation can rapidly become a nightmare.
In recent years, the cruise ship industry has suffered a huge blow with an increasing number of cruise ship accidents occurring. In the case where a ship ran aground, injuring and killing passengers and crew, there can be many resulting injuries or worse. Another ship suffered an engine room fire, which disabled the ship’s power left the passengers and crew aboard stuck out at sea for several days in harsh conditions. There have also been incidents involving people being lost overboard, as well as dozens of onboard fires disrupting trips and injuring people onboard.
If you or a family member was injured, made ill, or assaulted on a cruise ship as a passenger or as a crew member, you need a knowledgeable Jones Act or cruise ship lawyer. When you call Ginnis, Krathen, & Zelnick, P.A., you can expect to speak to a cruise ship accident attorney who can advise you on the best course of action and start you on the road to getting the reimbursement you deserve.
For honest and reliable legal service, contact our firm online or by phone at (954) 905-4600. Our team gives each case the attention it deserves.
Common Cruise Ship Accidents
Because cruise ships are popular tourist attractions that offer everything from swimming pools to rock climbing wills, there are a variety of hazards on board. Many people associate cruise ship accidents with drownings from falls, but the reality is that many different types of accidents can occur.
Some common ways passengers are injured on cruise ships include:
- Slip and fall accidents, which can occur on wet and slippery floors, defective stairs, and over unsecured cables or torn carpeting. Cruise ship lips are responsible for keeping their premises safe and fixing any glaring issues.
- Swimming pool accidents: Passengers have been known to suffer injuries from slips on swimming pool decks or near-drownings when there is no supervision around, such as if the pool is accessed after hours.
- Injuries from collisions: If a cruise ship collides with another vessel, mass injuries can occur from being hit by flying or falling objects or falling.
Injuries can vary, but because many slip and fall accidents account for injuries aboard cruise shops, common injuries include broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and head and brain injuries. Serious brain damage can occur if a person is deprived of oxygen for a period of time after drowning.
What Should I Do If I’m Injured on a Ship?
After you’ve been injured on a ship, there is a list of steps you must take to protect your health and ensure you’re able to recover damages. Cruise lines have their own attorneys and will do whatever it takes to protect their profits and their reputations – the more evidence you have to dispute any allegations, the better.
These steps include:
- Reporting your accident and seeking medical attention from the ship’s doctor to diagnose injuries and have a record you can use
- Avoid saying anything to cruise ship employees and staff, as anything you say can be used against you
- Collect information from other passengers who witnessed your accident, and take photos or videos of the scene of the accident
- Seek legal counsel from one of our experienced maritime lawyers
Why You Need a Cruise Ship Attorney
Why are cruise ship accident attorneys so important? A cruise can be a dream come true, but if you are injured onboard, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. Accidents, fires, illnesses, defective equipment, assaults, and other unsafe conditions on board or even on excursions can result in severe injuries or even death. Applicable laws vary depending on whether you were a passenger or crew member, and all of these are very complex.
That is why cruise ship accident victims need an experienced cruise ship lawyer on their side. A reputable cruise ship accident attorney will be able to aid you in navigating the legal complexities of maritime law, will have the resources necessary to investigate the accident, and will be able to properly advise you, giving you the time and care you deserve.
Damages our award-winning team has recovered for injured clients and families include, among others:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship
If you or a loved one was injured in a cruise ship accident, call our Fort Lauderdale cruise ship accident attorneys immediately. We can assist you in getting the reimbursement you deserve.