Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorneys
Truck Accident Lawsuits in Florida
When it comes to proving which party was responsible for a semi-truck accident, victims can often face an uphill struggle. Often, many different parties are involved, so it’s not always easy to determine who is responsible. Our Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorneys can help you deal with the difficult claim case you may face following a tractor-trailer or 18-wheeler truck accident. Since the trucking industry is regulated by the government, the federal laws, plus the laws of your state, insurance laws, personal injury laws, and other statutory guidance must all be considered as part of the judicial process. It is crucial that you act rapidly to get the correct advice and guidance from a knowledgeable truck accident injury lawyer.
If you or a family member suffered an injury in conjunction with a truck, you could be entitled to reimbursement for your suffering. Fighting against a large trucking company or their insurance company can be complicated and overwhelming. Our team of personal injury lawyers is on hand to help, providing supportive and knowledgeable assistance in your fight to claim compensation.
Contact the law office of Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. immediately to speak with one of our seasoned semi-truck accident lawyers. With our experience and resources, we can aid you in finding your way through the complexity a motor vehicle accident claim can present, helping you to get the compensation you deserve.
Call (954) 833-7044 or contact us online for personalized service and accessibility. Our team is here to serve you and your needs after a painful accident.
On This Page:
- What to Do After a Truck Accident
- How Is Fault Determined After a Truck Accident?
- What Is the Average Settlement Amount?
- Why Should You Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
Steps to Take After You’ve Been Injured
Every year across the U.S., trucking accidents cause numerous injuries and even death, and the number is only increasing. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 2015 and 2018 the number of truck crash deaths increased from 665 to 885, resulting in a 25% increase, and Florida had the second-highest number of truck occupant deaths in the United States.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a tractor-trailer or 18-wheeler truck accident in Florida or elsewhere, there are several steps you should take to protect your legal rights and to assist you in getting the compensation you deserve.
After a crash, be sure to do the following if possible:
- Call the authorities and seek medical attention: After making sure you’re safe, report the crash so the authorities can fill an accident report and you can seek treatment for your injuries. Whether you’re immediately injured or not, it’s still important to have a doctor assess you because they may be able to detect injuries you didn’t know you had.
- Document the accident: The more evidence you collect, the better. Make sure to take photos of the vehicle damage, accident scene, and your injuries, if possible, and exchange information with others involved. You should always check for witnesses who can give statements so you can prove liability in your case.
- Hire an attorney: A detail-oriented lawyer, like those at our firm, can help you collect evidence, interview witnesses, correspond with insurance companies, and file the paperwork to recover damages on your behalf. If you’re suffering from injuries, you already have a lot to think about – an attorney can relieve you of this burden.
How Is Fault in a Truck Accident Determined?
In trucking accident fault can be assigned to one, or several different parties, depending on the cause of the accident:
- The driver: If the driver was found to be the negligent party (i.e. they fell asleep at the wheel, were drinking and driving, etc.) they may be found responsible for the accident
- The trucking company: If the trucking company failed to properly maintain the truck, or required the driver to drive longer hours than federal regulations allow, they may be held liable
- The cargo loader or manufacturer: If the cargo loader or manufacturer failed to properly balance or secure the cargo, leading to an accident, they may be held responsible for the crash
- The truck owner: Sometimes companies rent trucks from truck owners, which means that the owner would be responsible for ensuring the truck is safe to drive; if improper maintenance led to an accident, the owner may be held responsible
What is the Average Semi Truck Accident Settlement?
One thing you should keep in mind is that there is no one-size-fits-all settlement for truck accident lawsuits. The size of your settlement will depend entirely on how serious your injuries are, how long you are kept away from work, and whether or not you will be facing a permanent change in quality of life as a result of your injuries. The typical truck accident settlement will seek to compensate you for the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Ongoing therapy (both physical and emotional)
- Home adaptation for disabled access
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Benefits of Hiring an Attorney After a Trucking Accident
If you or a loved one is the victim of a truck accident in Fort Lauderdale or in one of the surrounding areas like Miami or West Palm Beach, determining who was responsible for the accident and what caused it is a much more complicated process than with a standard auto accident. There are many different parties included, from the owner of the truck to the driver of the truck, and there are many different possible causes for the accident, from driver error to equipment failure. Having a truck accident injury lawyer who is familiar with the industry and experienced in gathering the necessary information to support your claim is critical.
An 18-wheeler accident can cause minimal damage in some cases, but often the damages, both to the individual and property, are catastrophic due to the sheer size and weight of the vehicle involved. A truck accident attorney can aid you in navigating the complicated federal laws that regulate the trucking industry, help you determine what caused the accident, and can determine who is responsible in order to compensate for your losses.
A truck wreck lawyer can also assist you when dealing with:
- The many different insurance companies involved
- The complicated relationships between the driver, the owner of the truck, the equipment leasing company, the manufacturers, and the owner of the truck’s cargo
- Gathering the proof necessary to hold the negligent party responsible for your injuries
If you or a family member has been in a tractor-trailer or semi-trailer truck accident, reach out to Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. today to speak with a highly skilled and experienced truck accident injury lawyer. We work with clients throughout the state of Florida from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach to Jupiter.
Our Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorneys believe every case matters. To get the undivided attention you deserve, call us today for a free consultation at (954) 833-7044. Hablamos español.
Fatal Truck Accident $3,000,000
We recovered $3 million for the family of a pedestrian who was fatally struck in a truck accident.
Slip & Fall $2,950,000
Our client slipped and fell on commercial private property due to a leaking roof. As a result, Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. was able to secure $2.95 million for our client.
Rear-End Car Accident $2,000,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a rear-end motor vehicle crash on behalf of their clients in the amount of $2,000,000.00. Our clients were driving south on I-95 when they were rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The force of the crash was so significant that it sent our clients’ vehicle into a wooded area on the side of the road.
Motorcycle Accident $1,520,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a motorcycle crash involving a fatality in the amount of $1,520,000.00. The decedent was killed when his motorcycle was struck by a commercial vehicle.
Sidewalk Fall $1,400,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a Slip and Fall case on behalf of their client in the amount of $1,400,000. Due to the negligence of Defendant, our client fell in the common area of a 55+ condominium community and sustained significant injuries.
Rear-End Car Accident $1,350,000
A drunk, uninsured driver going 60-70 mph crashed into the rear of a vehicle with a man and woman in their 70s and a 99-year-old passenger. Attorneys Eric Ginnis and H. Ross Zelnick successfully negotiated to obtain a $1.35 million settlement for the two seniors and the estate of the 99-year-old decedent.
Slip and Fall – Slippery Floor $950,000
Our client slipped and fell on a very slippery polished marble floor. The carrier denied liability prior to a lawsuit being initiated. The attorneys at Ginnis & Krathen, P.A., after contested litigation, we were able to reach a settlement for our client in the amount of $950,000.
Side-Swipe Auto Accident $900,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a side-swipe motor vehicle crash on behalf of their client in the amount of $900,000.00. Our client was operating his motor vehicle when he was sideswiped by another motor vehicle.
Automobile T-Bone Accident $750,000
While traveling in their vehicle, our clients were struck on the side by a large pickup truck. Through aggressive presuit negotiations, with the Defendant’s insurance company, our attorneys were able to settle the case in an amount of $750,000.
Auto Sideswipe $650,000
Our client was sideswiped by another vehicle and sustained injuries due to the crash. Our attorneys were able to settle the case in the amount of $650,000 for our client.
They remain on top of everything !- Stacia D.
I had a lot of peace of mind being their client as I knew I had nothing to worry about.- Carlos G.
I am very grateful.- Leland L.
They will fight hard for you and go above and beyond for you.- Ericka R.
Miguel Amador is an amazing attorney and takes client care to the next level.- James J.