Fort Lauderdale Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Uber, Lyft & Other Rideshare Accidents in Florida
Rideshare apps are used by Americans more than ever thanks to the increased use of smartphones, and Florida is no stranger to Uber and Lyft drivers. The sunshine state is a prime vacation spot for tourists, many of whom rely on ridesharing to get around. However, rideshare drivers can still get into accidents like any other driver on the road. If you were injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, establishing liability and recovering damages can be especially complicated. Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. has the experience needed to hold at-fault parties responsible for negligence and achieve your legal goals. Our rideshare accident attorneys serve clients who have been injured in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas in Florida. With years of experience and millions recovered for clients injured in motor vehicle accidents, we can be relied on to provide you with care after you’ve been mistreated and injured.
Call (954) 833-7044 or contact us online to reach one of our attorneys. Our team has successfully settled countless motor vehicle accident cases and can help you navigate your claim.
Do Uber & Lyft Have Insurance Policies?
There are a variety of rideshare companies offering app-based services, but Uber and Lyft are the most widely used rideshare apps in the United States. Rideshare services differ from taxis in that their drivers and vehicles have different classifications, auto insurance requirements, and training. Uber and Lyft drivers are classified as independent contractors and not as employees, a distinction that allows companies to distance themselves from liability in the event of an accident. This means that, in many cases, it’s difficult to hold rideshare companies financially responsible for damages.
After you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, there are three main scenarios that can help you determine which insurance policy can cover your damages, which can include medical expenses like hospital bills and surgeries, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage.
These scenarios can include:
- The app is off: If you were injured by a driver who was logged off their rideshare app at the time of the accident, their personal policy will cover damages. The rideshare company is not involved at all.
- The app is turned on and in driver mode: If the driver is logged into their app, Uber and Lyft’s insurance policy can be accessed and covers up to $25,000 for property damaged, $50,000 for bodily injury per person, and $100,000 for bodily injury per accident.
- The driver is carrying a passenger or on their way to a passenger: Uber and Lyft will extend their coverage to at least $1 million per accident.
However, since Florida is considered a no-fault state, drivers can expect to look to their personal injury protection (PIP) benefits to cover their damages.
What to Do After an Accident
There are many factors that can contribute to a rideshare accident, and most are the same factors that can lead to any motor vehicle accident. Some rideshare drivers, for example, will speed in order to get through as many rides as possible and make more money, reducing their reaction times. Others can get into accidents as a result of distracted driving when they’re looking at their apps or navigation systems.
No matter how your accident occurred, it’s important to follow the following steps if you want to have a successful personal injury claim:
- Call 911 and seek medical attention: Even if you only have a headache, the adrenaline rush you get after an accident could be masking pain from potential injuries. It’s best to be assessed by a medical professional who can diagnose and treat any injuries you have before they worsen. You may also be able to hold onto your medical receipts and records to use for your claim, and the responding authorities will file a crash report that you can use as evidence, too.
- Document the accident: If possible, collect as much evidence as you can at the accident scene. Take photos of vehicle damage and injuries, collect the contact information of any witnesses who can give statements, and exchange information with the driver, including their rideshare driver information.
- Call an attorney: Car accident claims can be challenging to file already, but when a major rideshare company is involved, it can be daunting to handle on your own. Only a professional injury attorney can get you the results you need and protect your rights from insurance companies and employers who don’t want to shell out money.
How We Can Help
Coping with the pain and trauma of your injuries can be overwhelming – the last thing you need is to have to worry about your finances and understanding the legal system when filing your claim. Our attorneys are able to gather evidence, determine liability, communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved, and file your claim before the deadline to increase your chances of recovering damages.
Through our years of advocacy, we’ve been able to successfully help clients after devastating car accidents and hold negligent drivers responsible, including Uber and Lyft drivers. Call to learn more about how we can help you through these turbulent times.
Call (954) 833-7044 for a free consultation with one of our Fort Lauderdale rideshare accident attorneys. We can offer you the personalized representation of a boutique injury law firm.
Fatal Truck Accident $3,000,000
We recovered $3 million for the family of a pedestrian who was fatally struck in a truck accident.
Slip & Fall $2,950,000
Our client slipped and fell on commercial private property due to a leaking roof. As a result, Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. was able to secure $2.95 million for our client.
Rear-End Car Accident $2,000,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a rear-end motor vehicle crash on behalf of their clients in the amount of $2,000,000.00. Our clients were driving south on I-95 when they were rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The force of the crash was so significant that it sent our clients’ vehicle into a wooded area on the side of the road.
Motorcycle Accident $1,520,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a motorcycle crash involving a fatality in the amount of $1,520,000.00. The decedent was killed when his motorcycle was struck by a commercial vehicle.
Sidewalk Fall $1,400,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a Slip and Fall case on behalf of their client in the amount of $1,400,000. Due to the negligence of Defendant, our client fell in the common area of a 55+ condominium community and sustained significant injuries.
Rear-End Car Accident $1,350,000
A drunk, uninsured driver going 60-70 mph crashed into the rear of a vehicle with a man and woman in their 70s and a 99-year-old passenger. Attorneys Eric Ginnis and H. Ross Zelnick successfully negotiated to obtain a $1.35 million settlement for the two seniors and the estate of the 99-year-old decedent.
Slip and Fall – Slippery Floor $950,000
Our client slipped and fell on a very slippery polished marble floor. The carrier denied liability prior to a lawsuit being initiated. The attorneys at Ginnis & Krathen, P.A., after contested litigation, we were able to reach a settlement for our client in the amount of $950,000.
Side-Swipe Auto Accident $900,000
Ginnis and Krathen successfully resolved a side-swipe motor vehicle crash on behalf of their client in the amount of $900,000.00. Our client was operating his motor vehicle when he was sideswiped by another motor vehicle.
Automobile T-Bone Accident $750,000
While traveling in their vehicle, our clients were struck on the side by a large pickup truck. Through aggressive presuit negotiations, with the Defendant’s insurance company, our attorneys were able to settle the case in an amount of $750,000.
Auto Sideswipe $650,000
Our client was sideswiped by another vehicle and sustained injuries due to the crash. Our attorneys were able to settle the case in the amount of $650,000 for our client.
If we ever need a lawyer in the future they will be my first phone call- Lisa T.
The best decision I made.- Linda P.
Exceeded all my expectations.- Frantz M.
Knew exactly what was going on.- Dee C.
Held my hand through the whole process.- Julieanna J.